The Hawaiin Islands have got to be among the most heavenly places on earth. My wife and I were able to see glimpses of four of the islands. So it’s going to be difficult to limit this blog post to five things, but I’ll try. This will be even more difficult since I have to use one of the five to tell you that we almost didn’t make it out of Cleveland. Here goes.
1. When planning a Hawaiin Island Hopping Cruise, I don’t recommend flying out of Cleveland in late February. The worst blizzardof the year hit the night before we were supposed to depart.
2. Taxi drivers in Oahu are as bad as the hotel shuttle drivers in L.A. It was almost better than a coaster ride at Cedar Point.
3. When on Maui, the Road to Hana is a must. Be warned, it is a very challenging drive, but beautiful beyond words.
4. Volcano National Park on the Big Island is amazing. The miles-long lava flows, new and old, tell the tale of the formation of the islands. But the Kona coast was my favorite stop.
5. Last, but by no means, least is Waimea Canyon on Kauai. The long, winding road to the overlook is tough, but you’ll be glad you made the trip. The clouds move in and out quickly so be patient when you arive.
The island hopping cruise has advantages and disadvantages. You get to sample several of the islands, but it is just a sample. You don’t have time to really, truly explore. But these teasers will ensure that you plan return trips. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even make it a one-way trip.
Pete PJ Grondin – Autor of A Lifetime of Vengeance, A Lifetime of Deception, A lifetime of Exposure, and the soon to be released, A Lifetime of Terror